PHPKB knowledge base software is very simple to install and easy to configure PHP script on your web server. If required, we also offer a free installation service of our knowledge management software on your web-server. It requires the following:
- Operating System: Windows, Mac or Linux
- Web Browser: All industry standard web browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari)
Web Server Requirements
You need to be running PHP 5.3+ & MySQL 4.1+ on a web server (Apache/IIS). PHPKB knowledge base software has been deployed successfully on both Apache and IIS web servers.
- Operating System: Linux, Unix, Windows
- Web Server: Apache Web Server, LigHTTPD, IIS (with ISAPI_Rewrite installed)
- PHP Version:
- For MySQL Editions, PHP 5.3 or above.
- For SQL Server Editions, PHP 5.3 or above with Microsoft SQL Server Driver for PHP
- Database: MySQL 4.1 or above, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or above.
- Optional Requirements
- Apache's mod_rewrite() extension to allow for SEO friendly URLs.
- PHP LDAP library is required to use LDAP functionality in the Enterprise edition
- AntiWord (free) is required to index and search Microsoft Word 2003/XP documents
- ppthtml (free) is required to index and search Microsoft PowerPoint 2003/XP documents
- PHP zip library (free) is required to index and search Microsoft Word/PowerPoint 2007 documents
- pdftohtml (free) is required to index and search Adobe PDF documents
If you're unsure whether your server meets these requirements, simply contact us with your FTP details and we'll check for you free of charge.
PHPKB will work on Apache 1.3 or Apache 2.x hosted on UNIX/Linux, OS X, or Windows. The majority of PHPKB development and deployment is done on Apache, so there is more community experience and testing performed on Apache than on other web servers. You can use the Apache 'mod_rewrite' extension to allow for SEO friendly URLs.
PHPKB will work using IIS 5, IIS 6, IIS 7 or later, if PHP is configured correctly. To achieve SEO friendly URLs you may need to use a third party product. For IIS7 (or later), you can use the Microsoft URL Rewrite Module or a third party solution such as ISAPI_Rewrite. ISAPI_Rewrite is Apache mod_rewrite compatible URL rewriter for Microsoft IIS.
A minimum base installation requires at least 8MB of disk space but you should assume that your actual disk space will be somewhat higher. For example, if you upload file attachments and images for articles, the actual disk space for your knowledge base could easily be 20 MB or more (exclusive of database content, media, backups and other files).
The total file size of your PHPKB installation will depend on what you add to your knowledge base, but core files alone will take up approximately 7 to 9 MB uncompressed. The exact size depends on the edition of PHPKB you have installed.
The PHPKB knowledge base software comes with its own installer. Follow the installation tutorial.
Recommended Hardware Requirements
PHPKB knowledge base software works well on any web-server that meets its software requirements specified above. This is definitely not a processor-hungry or memory-hungry application. Numerous instances of PHPKB knowledge base software are running on shared web hosting (virtual hosting) systems and are working perfectly fine. It means you can install it on a shared hosting server too. If you would like to use a dedicated hosting or host it on a local server, you can have a look at the hardware requirements and example configurations for a reference.
We offer free technical support for a period of 12 months from the date of purchase. You can always ask us for installation support from our contact form. We will be happy to assist you. Customizations and personalized development are not included in the package, but are available separately.