A sitemap is a list of website pages organized in hierarchical order, accessible to web crawlers or users. PHPKB Software creates the sitemap in three formats i.e. XML, text and HTML. By placing a formatted XML file of site map on your web server, you enable search engine crawlers (like Google) to find out what pages are present on your site and which pages have been recently changed. This guides them in crawling your site.
Expand "Tools" section of the left navigation bar and click on "Sitemap Generator" link to view Generate Sitemap screen as shown below:
- Sitemap Format: The sitemap can be generated in three ways: XML,Text and HTML. These parameters are displayed in the drop-down list.
- XML sitemap is created for search engines to inform them about the URLs that are available on the website. It will help search engines to find all pages that can be nested a few directories deep.
- Text sitemap is provided in sitemap generator as it might be useful to have a plain list of all your website links for reference in one place, a single text file. The sitemap contains one website URL per line.
- HTML sitemap is simply a hierarchical list of links to web pages of your website. It helps users to review in a quick glance index of pages of the site, which promotes site usability.
- Change Frequency: This value indicates how frequently the content at a particular URL is likely to change.
- Date of last Modification: This field contains the date when URL was last modified. This information allows crawlers to avoid recrawling documents that haven’t changed. You can either use the current date which is displayed by default or specify your own date and time. Please make sure to enter the last modification date in "YYYY-MM-DD" format only.
- Priority: The priority of a particular URL relative to other pages on the same site. The value for this tag is a number between 0.0 and 1.0, where 0.0 identifies the lowest priority page(s) on your site and 1.0 identifies the highest priority page(s) on your site. The default priority of a page is 0.5.
- Click "Create Sitemap" button to generate the sitemap or you can click on Cancel button to abandon the process. When the sitemap is successfully generated, it will display the following information:
- Click on the visible link to view the generated sitemap file.
- Applicable To: Standard Edition, Standard (Multi-Language) Edition, Enterprise Edition (MySQL), Enterprise Multi-Language Edition (MySQL), Enterprise Edition (SQL Server), Enterprise Multi-Language Edition (SQL Server)