How to set up folder permissions in Internet Information Services (IIS)?
This article explains how to set up write permissions in the required folders for configuring IIS 7.0, 7.5, or 8.0 on Microsoft Windows Server for installation of PHPKB Knowledge Base Software.
In order to install PHPKB knowledge management software on IIS, you need to set write permissions for following folders:
- inetpub/wwwroot/phpkb/assets - for all file uploads
- inetpub/wwwroot/phpkb/assets/tmp - for temporary storage of files uploaded from create/edit article page
- inetpub/wwwroot/phpkb/sitemap - for sitemap generation
- inetpub/wwwroot/phpkb/admin/include - to store KB configuration and settings file
- inetpub/wwwroot/phpkb/admin/backups - to store backups of your knowledge base data
- inetpub/wwwroot/phpkb/admin/languages - to store language files in multi-language edition
For each of the above folders, do the following:
- Right-click the directory, then choose Properties
- Go to the Security tab
- Find the IUSR account (If IUSR is not in the list, add it by clicking Edit, then clicking Add, and then typing "IUSR" in the "Enter the object names to select" field.)
- Highlight the user in the list, click Edit, and grant the account Modify and Write permissions