Permissions & Rights assigned to various Admin User Levels
We have different user-levels in PHPKB software. They are:
- Superuser: It is the ultimate administrator that has access to everything in the admin area as well as front-end area. This account type has no restrictions of any kind.
- Editor: This is the second level of admin users. This account type can create articles that are auto-approved, edit articles (created by self and other users), approve pending articles (created by writers), create/manage categories, create/manage comments, create/manage glossary terms. This account type cannot access “Users Management”, “Statistics/Reports” and “Tools” sections of admin area.
- Writer: This is the third level of admin users. This account type can create articles (that are marked as pending for approval by either an Editor or a Superuser), make edits to his own articles, attach files to articles. This account type has no other rights.
- Trusted Writer: This is fourth level of admin users. This account type has same privileges as that of a normal Writer however the articles created by a 'Trusted Writer' does not need approval for publishing.
- Translator: This level is only available in Multi-Language versions of PHPKB knowledge base software. This account type can only translate the contents of language file(s) assigned to him. He cannot access any other sections in admin area.
All the above listed user account types can also login to the front-end area using the same account credentials.
For Front-end Section (Public Area), we have 2 types of users:
- Guest Users: They do not need any account to access the knowledge base. They are like normal visitors to a website. They can only access the content of public categories.
- KB Members: They are special users (e.g. employees, partners, customers) that require to login with username and password. Their accounts can be setup in the “Users” section of admin area by superuser. These users need to be member of a user-group in order to access the content under private categories that area assigned to their user-group. They can add articles to their favorites list and can manage their profile on the front-end area.
Please refer to the chart below to see the permissions assigned to each admin-user-level in PHPKB Knowledge Base Software.
|Add New Category|
|Create Private Categories|
|Add New Article|
|Manage Own Articles (Created by self)|
|Manage Articles (Created by other users)|
|Approve Articles (Publish)|
|Review 'Pending For Approval' Articles|
|Access Article Versions|
|Revert An Article to Previous Version|
|Save to Drafts|
|Article Collaboration (idea/opinion sharing)|
|Empty Trash (Purge)|
|Restore Deleted Articles|
|Manage Article Subscribers|
|Manage KB Subscribers|
|Create Custom Fields|
|Manage Custom Fields|
|Access Open Support Tickets|
|Reply to Support Tickets|
|Close Resolved Support Tickets|
|Publish Resolved Ticket as New Article|
|Add File Attachments|
|Manage File Attachments|
|Create News & Announcements|
|Manage News & Announcements|
|Create Glossary Terms|
|Manage Glossary Terms|
|Create User Accounts|
|Manage User Accounts|
|Create User Groups|
|Manage User Groups|
|Manage Knowledge Base Configuration Settings|
|View Knowledge Base Statistics|
|Take Database Backup|
|Import Article Data from CSV File|
|Import Article Data from HTML Documents|
* for multi-language (ML) editions only.
Tip: Apart from the user-levels mentioned above, there is an additional user-level called 'Translator' and it is available only in the multi-language editions of PHPKB knowledge base software. This user-level is for the assignment of language translation job. So, it has no rights in the admin control panel except to translate the language files assigned to him/her.